This project is constructing a C-Band downconverter for use with terrestrial based transmissions, the frequency range is 4750 – 5850 MHz (IF is 1050-2150 MHz with LO at 3700 MHz).
The antenna is a 400mm 25dBi dual polarity dish that was originally designed for 4900 MHz public safety band. The dish has wide bandwidth and a 7° horizontal and vertical beamwidth.
Currently, I am just using horizontal polarity as shown below.
The downcoverter is constructed using the following mini-circuit components:
- ZX60-542LN-S+ 4400-5400 Low Noise Amplifier
- VHF-3500+ High Pass Filter
- ZX05-C60-S+ 1600-6000 Double-Balance Frequency Mixer
- VLF-1800+ Low Pass Filter
- ZX60-542LN-S+ Broadband Amplifier
- ZRL-3500+ 700-3500 MHz Amplifier
- ZKL-2+ 10-2000 MHz Amplifier
- ZFBT-6GW+ 0.1-6000 MHz bias-tee
- ZSN-3700AC+ Synthesizer (Local Oscillator)
- Miscellaneous attenuators to optimize RF and IF levels as appropriate
Here is a first-signal test with some local WIFI access point.
Some unknown local digital signal (probably from some microwave link).
In case you are wondering what the prototype looked like.